Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Week 3: Gas, Acne and Hemorrhoids

I have a 3 week old baby- it hardly seems real, even with the fact that she is currently sleeping on my chest while I type this.



She's growing and changing every day. And she is SO cute. She has these piercing eyes that are almost black and can make you melt when she's happy and make you feel like you might die of shame when she is upset. And there are so many versions of upset: the slight pout and the whimpers to the full-on, red-faced, full-body, rhythmic crying that wounds your very soul.

She is inches away from smiling. It's percolating just under the surface. She turns the corners of her mouth up when she's sleeping, and if you tickle her cheek while she's eating. And when she's calm and alert and you are talking to her, she looks at you like she's taking notes. And so we try to think about what we want to teach her... so I sing the alphabet song and her father sings his favorite Swahili hymns. And we both tell her stories and make jokes - both at her expense and at our own.

She is finally over her birth weight! So even though we have had to supplement her, I feel like we're finally getting the hang of breastfeeding. Sheesh! It's been so tense - latching issues, low milk supply, leaking, pumping issues. But I am staying positive and focusing on our successes - we are doing it... and she and I both are thriving.

Now, I didn't realize that I should have skipped one of the baby preparation classes to take a photoshop refresher course... because this girl needs a little retouching these days. Ah baby acne, why do you mar those big, sweet, edible cheeks? I've heard it will clear on it's own in the next few weeks - or months - and I am hoping beyond hopes that it will be weeks and not months. Modeling contracts await.

Now, me? I am also doing well. Walking is easier and I can go around the block easily. The three flights of stairs are almost back to feeling normal (notice I didn't say easy). But I am still struggling with doing too much, not resting enough and then having issues. I'll save you the details, but it's not fun nor easy to recover from a c-section. And there are a million things that I want to heal at a faster rate than is possible. I am quite pleased with the progress, but still have a long way to go. And while I am prepared to need spanx for some time, I hope that the donut pillow will not be necessary for much longer.

But let's keep our eyes on the prize:

No comments: