Monday, February 16, 2009

People and the food they consume.

Check out THIS LINK HERE.

It's a brilliant photo essay on people from all over the world and the food they consume in one week.

Check out the beautiful tables of produce in nearly every other country, then look at all the packaged junk food on the US family's table. Shocking.

I have to admit that if I took part in this project I would be half to-be-emulated and half-ashamed. Why? Because while I eat tons more produce than the average American... lettuce and avocados are not safe around me... there are alot of foods that sneak in there that should not.

I may very well keep track of a week or two of food that I buy for myself and for our house. This might be a good way to cut back on comfort/junk foods without that thing that I don't like to do (diet). Because when it's all said and done, it's about the choices we make with food.

While we're on the topic, check out the family from the Breidjing camp in Chad. It's a refugee camp created for southern Sudanese family, especially those from Darfur. Their weekly food is completely void of meat and nearly void of produce. They have three half bags of grain and some water for 6 people. If that's not proof that the earth's resources need to be redistributed, I don't know what is.

I wish I could tell you more about the photographer that created this site, but all I could find was that he is Brazilian. This is a fascinating project. Bravo, Joao!

No comments: