Sunday, January 30, 2011

New Attitude.

I have a very bad habit.

When I am tired, which I often am these days, I can only see the negative.

I was very fortunate to have my dear friend join me at church today - not only did she help me baby-wrangle, but she also pointed out all the positive people. She reminded me, in her positivity, that I often choose to let one person with attitude or one thing that rubs me the wrong way to ruin the event.

It's a tough thing, not to take our pet peeves and have them taint everything. But I think that is one of the secrets of staying young - being flexible enough to preserve a bit of naivete, being open enough to allow people to surprise you, and being willing to allow something negative to wash over you so you can focus on and build-on the positive.

I know there is a real danger in being seduced into using the negative things in our lives as fodder for discussion, stories, and attention-getting drama. But we can also do this with the positive things.

I just forget this sometimes.

Thanks, friend.

1 comment:

OhanaMama said...

Sooooo true! Months ago I found myself compelled to share "dating horror stories," because of the amusement this provided to others... and then I realized that it's not something I want to perpetuate or focus on!

What a wise friend, and sounds liek perfect timing for you to have heard this message. :)