Saturday, December 30, 2006

Volver

On Thursday I saw the new Almodovar movie Volver. For those of you that are unfamiliar with Almodovar, his films always involve scenarios that seem implausible or crazy, but the characters are treated with an extraordinary development and realness.

My expectations of Volver were high. I almost took the train to New York when it opened there in November and have been watching all the press since September. I was not disappointed.

I often look for movies that create an escape - that take me to a world that is foreign or that teaches me something. I was surprised with Volver to realize that my reactions, as strong as they were, were to the things that I did understand - that mimic something in my own life, in my own past.

My friend Sarah reminded me that Volver in Spanish means to come back. I'm curious about the inspiration for this movie - for I know that the beautiful Penelope Cruz is Almodovar's muse, but I'm wondering what else serves as impetus to develop such a wild script.

I can't help with my super-religious upbringing to think of the parable of the Prodigal Son. The son that goes away and when he returns his father welcomes him back with open arms. I try to use this model with my own life - often with difficulty. It's difficult to let go of anger and resentment and forgive people for leaving, and then welcome them back in.

Well, if Penelope Cruz can do it - I'll keep trying.

No comments: