Friday, January 15, 2010

Best Baby Book so far...


Last night I came home to a box full of Christmas presents from my totally AMAZING cousin Naiche. Among these fantastic treasures was a book called: If Your Kid Eats This Book, Everything Will Still Be Okay: How to Know if Your Child's Injury or Illness Is Really an Emergency by Lara Zibners

I read about half of it immediately and I LOVE IT!

It is funny and well-written, with just enough humor. The tone is such that you won't feel like a total fool if you end up in the emergency room for something small, but is also quite comprehensive and has enough random info to make it fascinating!

Plus, it answered a bunch of questions I had, things like:

So that whole umbilical stump thing, what do I have to do with that? ANSWER: Nothing. Do nothing. Don't fiddle, don't pull, watch for infection, but then resist the urge to help it do anything at all, just let it be.

Good to know.

Other questions that it answered, that I didn't even know I wanted to know, were things like:

Why are new born baby boys born with huge balls and then they get smaller? Answer: the mom's hormones.

If there is blood in my newborn baby girl's diaper, is she peeing blood? Answer: No, girls are also affected by the massive surge of hormones that their mothers receive just before birth. Sometimes it causes their tiny little baby uterus to thicken and the pink or red tinge in your little girl's diaper is just that thickening resolving itself.

SO baby girl's can have a period! Mind-boggling. They ARE just tiny little fully-formed people, even at birth.

While I look forward to finding books with way to much information to both answer questions and instill fear in me, it has been nice to read this book and NOT feel that way. The tone is such that you feel like you will just be one of the MANY, many parents that worry about their children and sometimes overreact. And that there are many, crazy, and weird things that happen to children. Some of them are serious and some of them are just funny!

No comments: