Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Untitled.

For the last two or three days, the title field on my blog has not been working. I posted anyways, clearly, but it was disconcerting.

I've never been good at giving things titles, not my art, not my writing - nothing really. I wonder if I'll have a hard time naming my children. If I can't name a lump of cooked clay, how will I ever be able to assign a name to describe a whole, complex little being.

Maybe part of the issue is that I love book titles so much. I'm often disappointed by stories that don't live up to their titles.

Here are some of my favorite titles... all of them are pretty good stories too:
Something Wicked this Way Comes
Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores
Interpreter of Maladies

On Monday, I was at a bookstore and I saw a book title that I thought was very interesting. I was so disappointed to read the back cover and find the story sounded weird and disjointed. Also that night, I ran across a book called "A Curse on the Reader of these Pages." I didn't pick that one up.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I was looking at my bookshelf over the weekend. I also love the title: For the Relief of Unbearable Urges. LOVE IT... the title is amazing. The stories were okay, just not my favorites.