Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ode to Maria



This blog post is just an excuse to post this amazing picture of my dear friend Maria. I am loving these "odes" because it gives me a chance to tell the world how much I love the people I love.

What are the words that people use to describe Maria: Tall, beautiful, Greek. (I doubt there is anyone that reads this blog that doesn't know her, but if by some chance you don't, she's the tall, beautiful Greek woman in my wedding photos.)

What are the words that I use to describe Maria: Loyal, brilliant, caring. There are a million other wonderful traits about her, but I know she'll read this and get embarrassed.

I love looking at this picture because it has some hidden clues about her. The cross around her neck, for example, is a clear reference to a deeply-held faith that most people have no idea about. With someone that has dedicated themselves so wholly to math, science and all pursuits of intellect, it seems rare to find them have such enormous faith.

That look in her eyes. She knows what is expected of her and she is doing it. Beautifully. She continues to pour herself into her work and her friendships with an intensity that is unparalleled. I have been the beneficiary for so many years, I can speak to it with great confidence. Maria will save your life, allow you to make difficult decisions, and then save it again with no qualms or judgment.

I could go on. And on. And on. But there is too much. She's too accomplished. Too amazing.

No comments: