Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Oh, one other!

Okay, so you probably figured out that while I liked the Kite Runner, I found it a bit simplistic and predictable. Not the situation in Afghanistan mind you, but the style and plot.

But, I didn't want to neglect to mention the other book I read that I LOVED! It's called the Piano Tuner. It's about a... well... piano tuner that gets sent to Burma by the British Army. It's wonderful, part Heart of Darkness, part travel journal. I really enjoyed it.

So two thumbs up for the Piano Tuner and History of Love.

Maybe one thumb up for the Kite Runner and The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller.

Wait, that's kind of awful... how can you give someone only one thumb for the story of their life, especially someone that triumphed over so many disabilities? But in my defense, she wrote the book at 22. And frankly, it reads a bit like my summer vacation joke-of-a-post. Very simplistic and overly enthusiastic.

Now I'm bookless. Suggestions? Help me. Help me, please.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I liked your summer vaca entry. Sometimes I feel like that's how my whole blog sounds. I enjoyed the first half or so of The Kite Runner, but I got fed up at the end. It was way too pat. And the whole part where he goes and beats up that Nazi guy? Come ON. It was like it was a little kid's fantasy, or something. And yeah, the boys not respecting each other was hard to believe, but I guess we can never know what it would be like to be friends with a servant, not having had any servants.

Kathryn said...

Yes, I found it VERY predictable and yet disturbing and scary.

I'm not sure why I kept reading it. I hear there's a movie coming out, which might be better than the book. Just like when I read the Namesake, when I read the Kite Runner, I kept thinking... this sounds like a movie script.

Then I actually liked the Namesake movie better, so maybe I'll like the Kite Runner movie better than the book.