Saturday, July 19, 2008

Movie Review: Mongol

I went to see Mongol today - to escape the heat.

It was beautiful. Tragic, wonderful and a little bit violent.

The movie is really about loyalty. The main character is a brave, and fiercely loyal man. He lives by a strict code of conduct.

It had me thinking about morality, laws, and order. How some laws seem frivolous, outdated, or unfair, but how some codes - if followed - could alleviate much of the pain and suffering that we inflict upon one another.

The movie also reminded me that pacifism is a luxury of modern times and of wealth. I will continue to try to practice it, but it is difficult to tell someone else that peace is the way if they are be brutalized either by an individual or by a society at large.

The film has a pace that allows for a great deal of contemplation. I loved it, others might not. But it also has me thinking about the sheer brillance of the 10 Commandments. They really do cover alot! The Mongolian code of conduct is a bit more convoluted, but it was interesting to see it upheld by the protagonist.

I know the majority of this audience will roll their eyes if I reprint the 10 commandments here, so I'll spare you all. But I'll say this, it was a fascinating afternoon...

No comments: