Tuesday, January 16, 2007

My new perspective

I used to believe that there was one single path. I really believed that everything that happens is part of some over-arching, predetermined plan that is laid out for you from birth. But my view has been altered dramatically over the last several years.

I just have a hard time believing that all these little things that happen: people that come and go quickly in your life, small hardships that have multiple resolutions, conflict that rises and disapates - that they are part of the plan. How could God care whether or not my car runs? How could my dating disappointments be part of my whole life plan when I quickly move on to the next thing?

Lately I've been thinking more about the interesting parallels that exist all around us. In particular I've been thinking about the body and how the colonies of bacteria and viruses that co-exist in the environment of our body so closely mimic the society that we live in on the planet. The relationship between bacteria and body is not unlike the relationship of human to universe. In the functioning of the universe, my life is no more important than a nice little bacteria cell in the flora of my digestive system. If things get out-of-whack, it gets ugly.

Until I can identify which of my co-enzymes will help me grow stronger and which will make things ugly, I'm not doing anything.

No comments: