Sunday, January 7, 2007

Some things cannot be undone.

I was watching Kill Bill, Vol. 2 on tv tonight... if you haven't seen it, DON'T READ THIS POST! (Unless you have no desire to see it, then go ahead.)

I had forgotten all about the scene just after Beatrice gets to Bill's house and discovers her daughter is still alive. Shortly after she arrives, Bill tells a story about her daughter's discovery of life and death.

To make the long story short, the daughter has killed her fish and in this action instinctively knows that she has done something that cannot be undone.

Well, I could argue that this was interesting to me because my own sins began as a fishkiller, but what I am more interested in is the notion that the things in life that rock us to the core are those things that cannot be undone.

Those things that cannot be undone - regardless of whether we are the one who does the deed or if we are the recipient of the deed - are the things that shape our lives. They are our secrets, our shame, our wounds to carry through life. They are endless fountains of guilt and anger, and it takes very little effort to remember the emotions of those events.

So my supposition is thusly: time does not heal some wounds. Because some things cannot be undone.

Oh, and the soundtrack is today's nomination for Best Soundtrack Ever.

No comments: