Thursday, February 8, 2007

Control.

I have two standard responses to stress: Avoid or Control, this actually manifests inself in two practical ways: Eating or Dieting.

I feel like I've been doing too much of the first, so I think I'll try the second for a nice change of pace. In honor of that decision, I created a "Diet and Exercise" spreadsheet on my Gmail account and I have started to track everything to try and notice trends.

Here's what I've noticed so far:
1) I've been carb-loading like a maniac. Why? I've heard that some people that suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affectiveness Disorder) crave carbs. I don't feel like I'm depressed, but maybe that's it. Or maybe my cold-comfort foods are all carb-heavy: mmm, rice, pasta, etc...
2) I'm doing well with my workouts, but I haven't been doing the "extra" stuff I normally do: taking walks, dance classes, extra yoga classes - partially because I'm trying to be more frugal and partially because it's so cold out. Time to start these activities again!
3) I don't eat nearly the same in the winter as I do in the summer. I've been having more junk-food than usual and not nearly the same amount of fruits and vegetables as I usually do.

I'm trying really hard not to over-react, but just notice and adjust. Because usually the step after Control is Super Control... and that's not a good place.

If anyone wants to join me for an "extra" activity: a walk, a dance class, a yoga class, or something else that doesn't involve food - just let me know!

No comments: