Monday, February 19, 2007

Winter Wonderland - I think not!

It's amazing to me how quickly one adjusts to certain climates.

I spent most of my early years in Canada and Michigan, and my teen years in Missouri and Virginia. I was used to cold and snow. I was also used to my parents - who kept the house at a temperature that required the use of a sleeping bag while sitting on the sofa watching TV. Not some little throw, a serious sleeping bag.

I am thinking about these changes, because my roommate was out of town this past weekend. My rule when she's out of town is that I refuse to touch the thermostat, keeping it at her low range, 67 degrees.

This low range for her, was the high range for my parents, so I thought I would be just fine.

I wasn't, I was freezing.

Most of the weekend when I was home, I had my normal clothes on, with my thermal socks and my bathrobe over the top of it all... and sometimes I was STILL cold.

I allowed myself to turn the heat up to her normal level a few hours before she came home. I had a little argument with myself, but convinced myself that it would be nice for her to come home to a warm house.

And I slept very well last night.

I guess I would have a hard time if I had to return to Canada or some other extremely cold climate. I hate to think that I couldn't hack it, but I think I've become someone that requires layers, extra socks, and is starting to lose the idea that that cool feeling your skins takes on in the cold as a good thing. And I haven't been out to play in the snow since I left DC.

Age? Too long in the South? I'm not sure, but it makes me a little sad.

I think that one of the things I'm missing in my life is someone to be silly and playful with. Everyone is so serious and so busy. No one has time to play. I guess that's why some people have kids, so they can remember how to really have fun and let loose.

Once again, I start writing about one thing and I end up thinking about something very different. I guess that I don't really care that I can't handle the cold, what bothers me is that winter used to mean endless playtime outside: sledding, snow forts, snow angels, and ice skating. Now days it's more about trying not to fall, trying to stay warm, and getting to the next things as quickly as possible.

I guess I'm ready to tap into that childhood joy again. Maybe even just for a second.

No comments: