Thursday, February 22, 2007

Love is a Mix Tape

I'm almost done with "Love is a Mix Tape" by Rob Sheffield. I'll write a more formal book review tomorrow after I've finished it, but I wanted to play a little game in honor of the songs that change our lives.

Here's a few of the songs that would be on the soundtrack of my life and the associations that I have with them.

Playing in the basement: Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass "Whipped Cream and other Delights"

Dancing in the basement, 1981: Tchaikovsky, "The Nutcracker"

Rollerskating songs, circa 1982: Rick Springfield, "Jessie's Girl" and Queen, "We Will Rock You"

How I knew I was destined to be a feminist: Pat Benatar, "Love is a Battlefield"

Most controversial sleep-over ever: Madonna "Like A Virgin" and Michael Jackson "Thriller"

I'm in love with Gordon Cox, circa 1987: Salt-n-Pepa "Push It"

French people are crazy, first trip abroad: Tone Loc "Wild Thing"

Italian people are crazier, second trip abroad: Eagles "Hotel California"

I'm an urban-hip hop girl stuck in a shy, nerdy body: L.L. Cool J "Mama Said Knock You Out"

I'm moving 700 miles away in my Senior year of High School: Kansas "Dust in the Wind"

I'm in love with Preston Young, Freshman in College: Tribe Called Quest "Bonita Applebaum"

I should be in love with Charles Sydnor: Wreckx in Effect "Rump Shaker"

First Relationship: Sade "No Ordinary Love"

Okay... I've gotten you to 1994... more later

No comments: