Monday, February 12, 2007

Early Morning in the City

I had the luxury of staying in the city last night. It was beautiful to have no commute into town. I've grown so accustomed to the suburbs that I had a hard time sleeping.

There was a time when I would never have noticed the sirens, the car noises, or the lights, but last night I took it all in. Usually insomnia drives me nearly mad, but I didn't mind it at all. I felt like a visitor in my own city.

I woke up at my usual time, which left me almost two hours to do whatever I wanted. I decided to go ahead and enjoy the city.

Early morning in the city is so peaceful. A few delivery people, a few homeless people, and me. I walked up to my favorite coffee shop, the one with the most handsome server, and got my usual cup of tea "for here." I decided I could take a few minutes and just enjoy my book.

When the hustle and bustle of the regular crowd began, I decided that I shouldn't so blatently enjoy a Monday morning, but I took my time in moving. I watched people as they rushed to work. Smiled to those that met my gaze. Waved to my favorite doorman.

I know that the next mornings will be back to normal: snoozing until I'm running late; gunning it to the train station; following the stream of commuters.

But today was different, and I loved it.

No comments: